It doesn’t have to be a binary choice.
There seems to be a need for some Americans to hold a binary view of the Russia-Ukraine region conflict. Those supporting either side of the war demand everyone else either be completely aligned with their favorite or they’re completely opposed to them. Those who say Vladimir Putin is fighting globalism and liberating oppressed Ukrainians won’t hear anything else. Those who believe Volodymyr Zelensky is the hero of democracy claim any criticism is Russian disinformation.
What about those of us who believe in America First?
Steve Deace from The Blaze was able to encapsulate his thoughts (which perfectly represent the beliefs of many) into a single Tweet:
- Is Putin a heroic liberator of Ukraine? No
- Is Ukraine a corrupt Soros/WEF proxy state? Yes
- Would swaths of Ukraine prefer to be Russian? Yes
- Is Ukraine worth nuclear war? No
- Is Ukraine worth wrecking your economy/energy supply? No
- Do the elites doing this care about you? No
Deace pretty much sums up how so many of us feel. To add on a couple of points, yes, we should empathize with Ukrainian citizens who are suffering and no, Volodymyr Zelensky is not acting in their best interests.